Extreme Weight Loss Diet Overview
Considering the basic components is essential for anyone who has decided to go for an extreme weight loss plan. Apart from exercises, it is vital to focus on what should be a part of your diet because you are certainly aiming at calorie restriction and portion control. Taking up extreme diets for just a few days can help you lose significant weight after which a maintenance diet is what you should go choose for a long term.
Usually, in an extreme weight loss diet, you need to eat less and gain fewer nutrients than your normal intake. Scientifically, a cut of 3,500 calories is required to burn only one pound of fat in your body. Therefore, you are required to decrease your calorie intake per day by 500 to 700 calories for gaining a shortage of 3500 calories, each week. However, you need to ensure the following:
- Go for smaller, frequent meals than the typical three big meals, according to the Abs diet strategy. It is better to split the latter into six smaller meals. Consider three small meals backed by having snacks twice or thrice. When we have only three big meals, greater quantity of insulin is released. Because it takes care of delivery of nutrients, insulin moves fats and sugar as fat cells into body for the purpose of storage. On the other hand, eating more frequently eliminates the need to keep fats stored.
- Include the right foods such as low-carb, high-protein, good fat ones, such as olive oil, nuts, whole grains, and oatmeal.
- Consider some advanced dieting options such as having one meal in a week wherein you can eat anything you want (cheat meal) for recovering mentally and psychologically and taking carbohydrates only at that time when your physical activity is the highest.
Usually, extreme weight loss diets are low in carbs. Proportionately, you should have possible 30 to 50g of carbs daily, which is almost up to half to one cup of oatmeal. Well, nothing can be as extreme as this diet plan for quick fat loss. Nevertheless, this is unreasonable when it comes to continuation for a long period. Therefore, you should consider having 100 to 150g daily. Usually, it suffices to go with 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fats.
For an extreme weight loss considering the above ratio, you can consider a few types of diets, as described below.
Vegetarian Diet/Vegan Diet/Low-Calorie Diet
Well, this truly means to include only plant-based foods and remove all animal-based foods. However, you still have to exclude all vegetarian and non-vegetarian sugary items, and processed foods featuring lots of unhealthy fats and sodium-rich salt. In simple terms, you only eat what you get from plants without too much of sugar and salt.
It is often thought that eggs, some fishes, and lean meat help in giving both nutrition and reduced fats when consumed in right amounts. However, this is not true always. Vegetarian diet also can do the same at a faster pace, less price, and in a safer way. After all, animal products are perishable and are susceptible to contamination at any time, if care is not taken.
Why Vegan Diet: According to the 2012 issue of Nutrition Research and Practice magazine, long-term vegetarians tend to posses lower cholesterol and less body fat than meat consumers do. A 2007 study published in the Obesity journal was conducted to review Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes Diet and low fat, vegan diet on weight loss for 14 weeks and its maintenance for more than two years. It was found that vegans lost more pounds and could better retain the loss. This is perhaps because the other diet allowed the intake of lean animal proteins although it restricted fat intake including cheese and butter. Moreover, a vegetarian diet is found to lower the cholesterol, reduce cardiovascular risk along with hypertension and hypotension, and facilitate quick weight loss due to lower calories.
How to Start: If you are anon-vegetarian fan, do not be afraid or savor pessimism. It might appear to be tough for you to be a vegetarian lover but it is so easy, once you start to go slow. You can start with a week or five-day diet plan to observe the difference. For a good start, choose with a healthy diet plan and maintain it.
What to Eat: A vegetarian diet consists of soy proteins, leafy greens, whole grains, fruits, beans, legumes, starchy vegetables, soy and a few nuts and oils. In short, you will be including lots of fiber, proteins, essential vitamins, and antioxidants. You can consider adding the following five weight loss vegetarian items:
- Leafy Vegetables:Include kale, spinach, parsley, broccoli, lettuce, collard greens, mustard greens, and cabbage, all of which are low in calories and decrease fat levels in our body. They are full of antioxidants, phytonutrients, minerals, vitamins, fibers, and proteins.
- Non-starchy Vegetables: Consider consuming a lot of broccoli, peppers, cauliflower, asparagus, spinach and other such veggies with low starch; around three cups in each meal. For some taste, replace oil or butter with olive oil and herbs.
- Cereals and Grains:Include oats, barley, semolina, muesli, whole wheat items (no white foods at all), and brown rice in your diet. Such grains are full of nutritional values and have zinc and iron in good quantities.
- Beans and Soya Items:Include soya beans, lentils, chickpeas, kidney beans, tofu, and black beans to cope up with protein needs due to no fish or meat items, boost your metabolic rate, and reduce appetite for losing weight. These beans and soy items are full of proteins and soluble fibers for dealing with body fats. Adding these beans and soy items make up for one of the best protein diet plans.
- Nuts and Seeds:Include almonds, sesame seeds, flaxseeds, peanuts, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds for having essential fatty acids such as omega-3. However, you need to include these nuts and seeds only in limited quantity. They are full of minerals, vitamins, proteins, and fiber. They reduce cholesterol, boost brain functioning, and strengthen bones.
- Fruits: Include water-rich fruits such as apple, pear, watermelon, orange, muskmelon, berries, and papaya. They have very fewer calories and are rich in vitamins, fiber, antioxidants, and minerals. These fruits tend to boost metabolism, reduce hypotension and cholesterol, and strengthen the heart.
A low-carb diet, as the name suggests, restricts the intake of carbohydrates found in starchy vegetables, fruits, and grains. It rather focuses on items having high protein and good fats. Have you heard of Atkins diet? Well, that is one type of low-carb diet. Similarly, many such low-carb diets exist, each with its own restriction limit, pros, and cons. However, the purpose is one: Weight loss.
Why Low-carb Diet: A low-carb diet also usually provides health benefits such as diabetic control, reduced metabolic syndrome, and controlled hypertension. It is preferred by those who wish to lose weight by restricting a few carbs as well as change overall eating habits. According to Mayo Clinic, a few scientific trials have come up with benefits of limiting carbs, which include weight loss, reduced risk of diabetes, and controlled heart disease. While there are people who lose well with a low-fat diet, many tend to lose quickly on a low-carb diet, making it the most successful one. This is because such a diet is more gratifying, keeps one feel full longer, and is rich in nutritious content.
Many people lose pounds by restricting calories and deciding what to eat, at least in the short term. One of the ways to do so is having a low-carb diet that is more looked upon for a more loss of weight in short-term than a low-fat diet. Even studies have found that the benefits of low-carb diet are not that big at 12 months. Although it is likely to offer a slight more benefit in terms of fat mass and weight loss than a normal protein rich plan, those who experience the greatest benefits stick to it for long term.
What to Eat and What Not to Eat: Not all carbs are bad and neither are you supposed to remove all carbs from your diet! What you need to include is items with low glycemic index, which prevent glucose spikes and manage your weight. Spikes lead to more release of insulin that stops the process of fat burning and initiates the process of carb burning. Insulin is also responsible for sending hunger signals to brain as well as causes the body to store more fat. Therefore, when you choose low glycemic vegetables and fruits, you not only manage your weight but also control your appetite and delay hunger signals.
Carbs are actually calorie-inducing macronutrient present in several veggies, grains, and fruits. Common sources of natural carbs are milk, nuts, fruits, seeds, grains, lentils, and veggies. However, most of these carbs usually have a low glycemic index of 55 or less. It is the simple carbs available as refined carbs in processed foods and generally exists in sugar or flour form, as they have high glycemic index. Examples include white bread (71), baked potatoes (85), cornflakes (93), white rice (79), crackers (74), pretzels (83), popcorn (72), raisins (64), sugar (68), and macaroni and cheese (64).
In general, if you are choosing a low-carb diet, you are likely to include more proteins and a few non-starchy vegetables. Most grains, breads, sweets, legumes, pasts, and starchy stuff along with some nuts and seeds will stay out of your dishes. Depending upon the type of low-carb diet chosen, you might be allowed to add a few fruits, (not watermelon because it has high glycemic index), lots of leafy veggies, and whole grains. A few diets limit the intake of carbs initially and then increase the intake slowly.
You are required to restrict the daily intake up to 60 to 130g, which is what an extreme weight loss diet needs. Such quantities of carbs usually deliver around 240 to 520 calories. If you go for a very low-carb diet, the intake is restricted up to not more than 60g or even less, per day.
Protein Shake Diet
Protein shakes are usually what athletes consume to become stronger. Why so? That is because protein is an essential macronutrient acting as a building block through the contained amino acids, due to which it helps in building the body and maintaining muscle mass. However, such a protein shake is also without any extra fat and facilitate weight loss.
A protein drink is not just for athletes. In recent years, such a nutritious drink has been replacing other protein sources such as fish and meat to have less calorie intake. Protein itself is low in calories as well as fat although high in nutrition. This means that while you obtain the daily protein intake, you are ensured of a low caloric but a more balanced diet. If you just wish to have 200 to 300 calories per meal, it is possible with a protein shake. Just replace one of your meals with a delectable protein shake and reducing calories will not be a problem at all.
What Protein Can Do: Most people are not clear with increased muscle mass and weight gain. The latter is actually solid weight, something that you can count to maintain the weight with higher metabolism. Lack of proteins means lack of adequate solid weight and consequently an unwanted fall in metabolism. On the other hand, having a protein shake diet means boosted metabolism with less caloric intake. You need not bother about high caloric intake related weight gain. In fact, more muscle mass contributes to effortless weight loss. Moreover, it has been found that amino acids (proteins) can help in breaking down the fat through metabolism. Luckily, protein shakes are a complete source of amino acids.
How to Take: A protein shake such as the one with whey protein powder can be an excellent idea of extreme weight loss because of it being low in fat as well as calories. When combined with regular exercise and balance diet, replacing one or two meals with a protein shake diet can limit the caloric intake up to 200 calories per meal. There are many ways to have such a diet such as good weight loss shakes or taking shakes instead of a meal or adding more protein to supplement your meal.
Having a shake before a meal is likely to suppress you appetite so that you do not binge or overeat. After replacing one or two meals with shake, do not overheat in other meals and try to include more of vegetables and low carb items. In addition, chew each nibble thoroughly and slowly.
Consider having the protein shake powder with water although it dissolves quickly in milk. This is because there are chances of increasing weight, when had with milk. Further, blend the powder well with a blender to avoid clumps. Moreover, if you choose to add the powder to lukewarm water, it is recommended having it instantly without allowing the mixture to wait for some time, for better results.